Public Policy and Administration in a ‘Poly-crises’ World: Building Pathways for Sustainable Change
9th and 10th December 2022, American University in Cairo
The Association for Middle East Public Policy and Administration (AMEPPA) is pleased to invite submissions for its annual conference. The theme for the 2022 conference is entitled: “Public Policy and Administration in a ‘Poly-crises’ World: Building Pathways for Sustainable Change” to be held on the 9th and 10th of December 2022 at the American University in Cairo, Egypt.
Public Policy and Administration (PPA) sciences have been under increased scrutiny in recent years for their role in facing global crises. Under the specter of past and future pandemics, climate change, the refugee crisis, energy crisis, the rise of populist politics and rollback of progressive policies, national and global policy-making have been at the centerpoint of debate and controversy in this moment of ‘poly-crises’ as declared by the WTO Chief Dr.Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. New research and practice have discussed the role Public Policy and Administration plays across multiple levels of governance- global, national, local, community-: as ‘enabler’ of community change, solver of wicked problems, essential for scaling of community initiatives, and reflective of a growing disenfranchisement with established politics. On the other hand, scholars and practitioners have also noted the inability of PPA to integrate and localize national planning for sustainable development, coordinate an equitable global response to pandemics, and favor the growing role of civil society and community groups, among others.
In the Middle East, these dilemmas have been most profound during the years of COVID and its aftermath. With Egypt hosting COP27 this year, and the COP28 taking place in the United Arab Emirates, the region is at the center of climate debates and holding global powers to account for promises toward a greener future. In this moment of geopolitical significance, the AMEPPA conference aims to convene the latest research from scholars across the region and beyond to stimulate conversations on the changing landscape of policy sciences. As the region continues to recognise the vulnerabilities of global interconnected systems of energy, food and governance, we seek to dismantle and dissect the recent accelerated policy patterns of infrastructural development, digital transformation, enlarged public-private partnerships, fiscal decentralization, and localisation of sustainable development, among others.
AMEPPA welcomes original work from academics, policy-makers, independent scholars, early career researchers, policy and administration students, policy analysts from policy sciences, economics, humanities, arts, and social science disciplines, covering research on emerging trends on policy-making and administration globally. Some of the themes covered in the conference include but are not limited to:
- Smart, participatory, and sustainable policy making in times of crisis
- New emerging financial, regulatory and legal frameworks
- Emergency PPA in times of ‘poly-crises’
- Health, social and developmental inequalities
- Informal networks, grassroot governance and conflict resolution in PPA
- PPA and the public commons
- Policy theory and practice under COVID19: Empirical cases from the Global South
- New remote research methodologies and fieldwork
The conference will take place over two days (9th and 10th December) at the American University in Cairo, New Cairo Campus. The conference is composed of several paper panels throughout the day, as well as a photo-essay exhibition and competition.
Submission Guidelines and Important Dates
- October 20, 2022 Deadline for submitting abstracts
- Please complete the abstraction submission form https://forms.gle/izbe8Jsc6iNkRfPH7
- In the case of submitting a full panel (up to 4 submissions), each author should submit their abstracts separately, and one author will submit another form with the panel title, abstract, and names of panelists.
- October 30, 2022 Notification of acceptance of abstracts
- Nov 15, 2022 Conference registration opens for general public attendees
Please contact the conveners on Ameppaconference@aucegypt.edu for more information.
Kindly check the conference website for regular updates: https://ameppa.org/strongameppa-2022-call-for-papers-and-photo-essays-strong/